- Verified with grootfs-release v0.24.0
Patch release with some bug fixes and some API changes for experimental image and runtime plugins. This release also includes substantial updates for the new rootfs+layer image scheme and the rootless mode which are both still considered undocumented and experimental.
Noteworthy Bug Fixes
- Previously if the container crashed before the network was configured a pid of zero could be passed to the network plugin resulting in confusing error messages (https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/150078138).
- It is now possible to use bind mounts that have a MNT_SHARED propagation type. This would previously be overriden by runc which was a change of behaviour from garden-linux and broke attached disks in bosh-lite (https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/149995674).
Updates to Experimental Features
- A new
preloaded+layer://scheme for the
ContainerSpec.Imageproperty allows a client to request a droplet layer be added to the rootfs in the create call (rather than via a separate
StreamIncall). This allows the final rootfs to be pre-created via copy-on-write in the layered filesystem rather than by extracting the droplet tarball in to a running container. (Note: this API is currently experimental and subject to change).
- The Experimental Rootless Mode is nearing completion and now supports limiting cpu and memory usage for created containers.
- Numerous updates have been made to the windows job to enable Garden-on-Windows support
- Garden now reports metrics for
Createto aid in debugging performance of image plugins (https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/149914457).
Bosh Property Changes
- Garden’s default port-pool range now starts from 61001 rather than 60000 to avoid colliding with the top of the ephemeral port range. This reduces the number of ports in the pool to 4534 but avoids potential conflicts with OS-assigned ports. Operators can use the
garden.port_pool.sizeproperties to change this range (https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/117415775).
Upload this release version to the Director:
$ bosh upload-release https://bosh.io/d/github.com/cloudfoundry/garden-runc-release?v=1.9.2 --sha1 de976393aa5f2e26913dec02770076cb4cd966d2
Modify deployment manifest to use this release in addition to any other used releases:
releases: - name: garden-runc version: "1.9.2"
Finally add needed deployment jobs and specify values for required properties.
Optionally download sha1: de976393aa5f2e26913dec02770076cb4cd966d2 release tarball locally:
# ...or download it directly using curl $ curl -L -J -O https://bosh.io/d/github.com/cloudfoundry/garden-runc-release?v=1.9.2 # or with wget... $ wget --content-disposition https://bosh.io/d/github.com/cloudfoundry/garden-runc-release?v=1.9.2